ASPARTAME - IN BRIEF
By Dr. Betty Martini, D.Hum.
Mission Possible International
9270 River Club Parkway
Duluth, Georgia 30097
Web Site: http://www.mpwhi.com
Posted: 07 February 2008
For those who have asked to have something on aspartame on one page, here you go.
All my best,
Dr. Betty Martini, D.Hum.
Founder, Mission Possible World Health International
9270 River Club Parkway
Duluth, Georgia 30097
Aspartame Toxicity Center: http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame
ASPARTAME - THE HEALTH ISSUES
- Aspartame was originally developed as a drug to treat peptic ulcer. At one time aspartame was listed with the pentagon in an inventory of prospective biochemical warfare weapons submitted to Congress. Read this 17 page article from the Ecologist with the timeline: http://www.mpwhi.com/ecologist_september_2005.pdf
- Aspartame in molecular chemistry is one molecule of aspartic acid to one molecule of methanol to one molecule of phenylalanine. Consider this means 33% free methyl alcohol, a severe metabolism poison.
- Manufacturers state the quantities as being: 40 % aspartic acid; 50% phenylalanine and 10% methanol, this is by weight.
- Aspartame metabolites are: Formaldehyde - a class A carcinogen; Diketopiperazine (DKP)a brain tumor agent and formic acid (ant sting poison);
- In 1965 James Schlatter, while working for G. D. Searle Company accidentally discovered its intense sweetness.
- In 1974 the FDA approved it as an artificial sweetener but asked Searle to hold back from selling it until further tests could be made with regards to its safety.
- Scientific data revealed that there was a problem with the safety data on aspartame and FDA withdrew its approval.
- In 1975 the FDA initiated an investigation into Searle's laboratory practices and discovered fraud in scientific experiments as well as manipulated data giving favorable results proving aspartame to be safe.
- Among these they found that animals used in the experiments had been reported alive when they were dead.
- Aspartame - provoked tumors in laboratory animals were removed surgically and the animal was reported to be 'normal'.
- The results of this investigation are included in what is called "The Bressler Report" Jerome Bressler said the studies were so bad that parts were deleted by the FDA including two mice studies. They filtered out neoplasms.
- In 1980 Dr. John Olney submitted scientific data to an FDA Public Board of Inquiry showing that Aspartic Acid, one of the three ingredients in aspartame, caused holes in the brains of mice. Explained how aspartame can destroy brains of the unborn.
- In 1980 the Public Board of Inquiry unanimously voted against aspartame approval.
- In 1981 FDA Commissioner, Dr. Jere Goyan, was asked to resign by a member of the Reagan transition team , before he could sign the Board of Inquiry Report that revoked the petition for approval into law. Arthur Hull Hays who over-ruled the Board of Inquiry, even against the advice of FDA scientific personnel and advisers, replaced him.. He went to work for the PR Agency of the manufacturer Burson Marstellar at $1000.00 a day on a ten-year contract and has refused to speak to the press.
- In 1983 FDA approved aspartame use in sodas.
- The American Soft Drink Association - (now American Beverage Association) - was against the use of aspartame in carbonated beverages even mentioning the adulteration law, and this protest was included in the congressional record in May, 1985. They did not consider aspartame to be safe for human consumption. Yet they added it to soda anyway later.
- FDA compiled a list of 92 symptoms attributed to aspartame consumption from 4 types of seizures to coma and death.
- Aspartic acid (40% of aspartame) is a non-essential amino acid that is used by the body to initiate apoptosis -cell death- in aging cells. The excess from aspartame causes apoptosis in healthy cells thus destroying healthy tissue especially in the brain (John Olney's report noted it causes holes in the brains of laboratory mice)
- Phenylalanine (50% of aspartame) is an essential amino acid found naturally in protein but when isolated becomes neurotoxic, lowers the seizure threshold, and depletes serotonin triggering psychiatric and behavioural problems and interacting with drugs.
- Diketopiperazine is a tumor agent. The Ramazzini Studies proved aspartame to be a multipotential carcinogen confirming FDA's original findings.
- Methanol (10% of aspartame) is a severe metabolic poison classified as a narcotic that converts to formaldehyde and formic acid. It embalms living tissue and damages DNA: http://www.mpwhi.com/formaldehyde_from_aspartame.pdf
- Methanol occurs naturally in all plants, fruits and vegetables, but - in nature - it is tied to the fibre pectin and is accompanied by its antidote, ethanol, in greater quantities that prevents the methanol from being metabolized and it passes safely through the body's system without causing any harm.
- Methanol even converts to formaldehyde in the retina of the eye and destroys the optic nerve and can cause blindness.
- Methanol is always metabolized to formaldehyde, which is a known carcinogen.
- Aspartame damages the mitochondria or life of the cell and hypothalamus triggering male sexual dysfunction and ruining female response. It destroys families. Mitochondria damage is one of the reasons for drug interaction.
- Aspartame is a teratogen causing birth defects and mental retardation. It's also an abortifacient.
- Aspartame is linked to sudden death, MS, Lupus and many neurodegenerative diseases. Medical texts: Aspartame Disease: An Ignored Epidemic, H. J. Roberts, M.D., Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills, neurosurgeon Russell Blaylock, M.D.
- Evidence from the beginning showed it to be a chemical poison. In reality it's an excitoneurotoxic carcinogenic drug. Reactions according to Dr. Russell Blaylock are not allergic but toxic like arsenic and cyanide.
- 92% of Independent scientific peer reviewed studies show the problems aspartame causes. 13 in the last 24 months show *aspartame toxicity. It's particularly dangerous for diabetics since it can precipitate the disease, simulates and aggravates *diabetic retinopathy and neuropathy, destroys the optic nerve, and interactions with insulin There are tens of thousands of *case histories and anecdotal accounts from victims of aspartame poisoning who have come forward to tell their stories.
- There are special institutions, such as the Essence Recovery Center, that treat victims of aspartame addiction.
- Attorneys are taking brain tumor cases for litigation in New York and New Jersey.
Would all this be necessary if aspartame were truly safe?